Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify and repair mechanical instruments may also fabricate and modify parts or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, mathematics, metal properties, layout and machining procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
2. Responsible for the machine parts specifications using machine tools such as lathes milling machines or grinders.
3. Measure, examine and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specification using precision instruments such as micrometers.
4. Set up, adjust and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations
5. Study sample parts, blue prints and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products and determining product dimension and tolerances.
6. Select the appropriate tools, machine and materials to be used in preparations of machinery works.
7. Observe and listen to operating machines and equipment in order to diagnose machine malfunctions to determine needs for adjustments or repairs.
8. Clean and lubricate machines, tools and equipment in order to remove rust, stains, and foreign matter.
9. Performs all related duties assigned.